Thursday, January 10, 2013

Henri Matisse

I  have enjoyed studying the life and works of Henri Matisse, 1869-1954.  Proded by the current exhibit at the New York Metropolitian Museum of 47 of his paintings, I began my research.  I have enjoyed the web sites of several museums that let me view the paintings and learn about Matisse's life.  One delight was the Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia where I can stroll the museum and have 360 degree views of each room.  They have two rooms of Matisse's work.  I also learned that a Russian art dealer was buying a lot of paintings in Paris during the early part of the 1900's to sell to his rich customers in Russia.  Some particularily liked Matisse's use of color.  Later after the 1917 revolution, the State confescated the homes and belongings of the rich and put the art in the Puskin Museum in Moscow and the Hermitage in Saint Petersburg....both former palaces of the Czar.  I was delighted to see some of these paintings at the L.A. County Museum of Art in 1986 including the gold fish below. 

I presented my research to the class at the V.A. today and they seem to enjoy and appreciate.  I found great short videos on line that I used to show Matisse's works and tell his story.

"Lorette with Cup of Coffee," 1916-17 seen this summer in the Art Institute of Chicago



"The Dance" 1909 to 1910 at the Hermitage Museum


"Goldfish" 1910

No comments:

Post a Comment