Monday, November 23, 2015

Roaming around Bergamot Station in Santa Monica on Thursday

On November 19th, after a great breakfast at BACK ON THE BEACH and a visit to the ocean scene in Santa Monica, I checked in to Bergamot Station to visit some art galleries.  Soon, the Expo light rail line will be stopping here and it will get busier.  The galleries are full of enjoyable art pieces for the up coming holidays.

I visited only a few of the galleries and found some favorites.  Here of my photos of them:

These first paintings are in the Craig Krull Gallery by artist Ned Evans, "Slight Return."   Evans is a native of Southern California and a life-long surfer.  These are described as "Frankenthaler flows" counterposed with solid bars of rhythmic rolls. This painting is entitled "Burias," 2015, acrylic on canvas.

"Chaves," 2015

"Nimrud," 2015

"Manuripe," 1990, acrylic plaster, and mixed media on wood.

"Elvas," 1998 acrylic and mixed media on canvas.


 This painting and those below are by Richard Baker entitled "Tonality" at the Skidmore Contemporary Art Gallery.  Richard Baker is from California and his works are based on his observations by taking photos while enjoying his favorite pastimes.  He is drawn to compositions that contain strong colors, sharp shifts in tonality and subtle geometry.
This painting is entitled "SUP Dude," 2015, oil on canvas.
"Hope," 2015, oil on canvas.  "It's not exactly the Notre Dame Cathedral but this church captures my attention every time I visit Cayucos with it's clean lines illuminated by the softened seaside light."

"On Georgica Pond," 2015, oil on canvas.  "When I took the photo that his Hampton=set painting is based on I felt like I was in a timeless Edward Hopper motif from the 1940's.

"Healdsburg House," 2015, oil on canvas.  "My alternate title for this painting was "Fifty Shades of Grey," because that's what it is.  I went with "Healdsburg House" so I wouldn't get sued."
"Derek's View," 2014, oil on canvas.  "This painting commemorates the former Yankee captain's final visit to Anaheim Stadium.  I got to try pointillism for the first time ever while painting the thousands of fans.  It was also my first experience in capturing electric lighting and electronic signage." 

"Bighorn Beauty," 2015, oil on canvas.  "When I play golf, I frequently am distracted from my game by the beautiful landscapes.  That's my excuse for having a high handicap!


This painting in the Skidmore gallery is by Melissa Chandon entitled "Trailer," 2015, oil on canvas.
I roamed through a few other galleries and here were my favorites.  These shoes and books theme by Brighton Smith caught my eye.  This is entitled "Blue Stack" 2015, oil on canvas.

"Monet and Giverny," 2015

"Sparkle," 2015

"Stack of Pop Art," 2015

"American Modernism," 2015

"Talk Talk," 2014 by Jennifer Bain, oil on canvas

"Barxo," 2015 by Todd Gray, acrylic on wood.

"I Thought It Would Rain," 2015 by Bradley Hankey, oil on wood panel.

"Grounded," 2015 by Ron Rizk, oil on panel.  This painting is at the Lora Schlesinger Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment