Monday, May 18, 2015

Art in Santa Barbara on Sunday

State Street, the main business street in Santa Barbara, was closed for a car show with music entertaining Sunday roamers like me.  Many of the restored cars are a work of art.  Here are photos of my favorites:

My first thought when looking down State Street was that this looks like Havana, Cuba.




Inside the Art Museum I enjoyed the "Degas to Chagall" exhibit from the Armand Hammer Foundation.  Here are a few samples of what I saw:

"Pont-Saint Michel," 1901 by Henri Matisse, 1869-1954, French.  This painting is owned by the Santa Barbara Museum of Art 

"The Old Bridge," detail on the cover of the museum membership brochure, 1910 by Max Pechstein, 1881-1955, Germany
"Woman and Checkerboard," 1956 by Richard Diebenkorn, American 1922-1993

"View of a Farm in Osny," 1883 by Camille Pissarro, 1830-1903, Danish-French

"Palace Guards Warming Sake with Crimson Leaves," Kobayashi Kiyochika, Japanese, 1847-1915, ink and color on silk, hanging scroll.  I found this on the second floor in the Japanese art section.

Armor with Helmet and Face Mask, Japanese, 19th century.

"Nakamura Ganjiro I as Sakata Tojuro from the series 'Portraits of Actors,'" 1926 by Natori Shunsen, Japanese, 1886-1960, color woodblock print.

No comments:

Post a Comment